Best things to do when you find out you’re Pregnant
Get organized for pregnancy
Start with this Bump Smart free email series! This free email course will show you exactly how to prepare each week for your baby.
Then, when you’re ready, you might want to check out these amazing planners.
Get your mom freebies and baby registry planned out
Getting free things is quite exciting, even more, when they’re baby related. Check out my Ultimate List of Freebies for New Moms post for the list of everything you can snag for free or at a discount.
Then, when you’re working on your shopping lists, put some of these pregnancy essentials on your registry. That lists includes tons of creature comforts that helps you get through pregnancy, like a great pillow and support band.
Figure out a healthy diet for pregnancy
Be sure to start taking your prenatal vitamins daily, with DHA. They don’t have to be the fancy vitamins doctor prescribes. Over the counter drug store vitamins are perfect.
Morning sickness (aka all day sickness) might make it hard for you to eat certain foods, or at certain times. I found having bland crackers, toast, nuts, etc helped tame that feeling. I also ate many tiny meals rather than several large meals throughout the day.
Check in with your workplace
You might not want to tell at work right away, but you should start looking at your HR documents to get familiar with your maternity leave policy. You should also check your insurance coverage and make sure you pick a doctor, hospital, etc, all in-network.
You should also think about whether you’re going back to work full-time or part-time (or at all, some people have that option) and start finding out if your office already has a breastfeeding/pumping room or a quiet room you can use or if they need to create a space for you.
Picture your baby
Start picking baby names – try this extension. My husband and I had the hardest time picking a baby name. Thankfully we agreed on JUST ONE in time for me to be induced. Start picking name options early! My friend also has some great tips for helping you pick a baby name.
Take a breastfeeding class
If you have access to a class at your local hospital, I highly recommend that! If you’re looking for an amazing online class you can listen to again and again from the comfort of your class – you absolutely must check out Milkology! This is a fabulous breastfeeding class!
Read pregnancy books
Books that have a lot of information, such as month to month changes, explain all the development going on, and talk about labor and delivery are very helpful.
Make a Labor and Birth Plan
Write a birth plan and think about where you want to deliver. Make your birth plan as detailed as you can, but leave wiggle room since nothing goes as planned.
Don’t forget to grab your checklist for your hospital packing list!
Grab your Hospital Packing List!
Join the email tribe and we will send you this hospital packing checklist right away!
Read all my pregnancy tips and posts:
- 10+ Things No One Tells You About Being Pregnant
- Protect You And Your Baby: Learn About Prenatal Depression
- 5 Tips To Prepare Your Relationship For A Newborn In Pregnancy
- 7 Ways To Make The Most Of Your Maternity Leave
- What You Need To Know Before Traveling Abroad While Pregnant
- 8 Benefits Of Prenatal And Postnatal Massage Therapy
- Gift Ideas And Must Have Products For Your Pregnant Friend
- Can Pregnant Women Eat That?
- Can You Eat Feta Cheese While Pregnant?
- Navigating the Difficult Decision of Naming Baby
- Practice Postpartum Self Care With Cardinal Health
- 10 Fears I Had Before Having A Baby
- Tips For Buying Maternity Clothes And How To Avoid Common Shopping Mistakes
- 10 Reasons I Love (And Hate) My New Mom Body
- Hospital Packing List Guide For Mom, Dad, And Baby
- My Birth Story – the obligatory post
- My Body Is Amazing – it really is ladies
- The Birth Plan I Wanted, And The Discussion With My Doctor
- Got Some Unexpected News At My Last Doctor’s Appointment
- 5 Things That Make Pregnancy Oh So Glamorous /Sarcasm
- Gestational Diabetes And The Managed Carb Diet. Pricking Your Finger Is No Fun.
- Why Would You Say These Things To A Pregnant Woman?
First things to do when you find out you’re pregnant!